Should You Use WordPress or Another Website Builder?
Are you planning to build a website but not sure whether you should choose WordPress or any other platform? Well, we all know how popular WordPress is. It has come a long way since it was first launched in 2003.
As the world’s most prevalent and commonly used content management system (CMS), WordPress powers 39.5% of all websites on the internet. But is it the right option for you?
The World Wide Web is inundated with hundreds of CMS and website builders, each one claiming to be better than the rest. In this article, we’ll compare WordPress with some other CMS and website builders like Wix, Squarespace, and Drupal, highlighting the pros and cons of each. The purpose of this post is to help you decide which platform will work best for your needs.
WordPress vs. Other Platforms: The Showdown
For better understanding, we’ve divided our comparison into 4 different categories.
- eCommerce functionality
Let’s see how WordPress stacks up against all other platforms in each of these categories.
WordPress is equipped with a visual editor for content creation. Using its theme customizer, you can edit your theme properties in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) environment.
With WordPress, you get full control of your site appearance. You just have to acquaint yourself with different sections such as navigation menus, customizer, and visual post editor.
There are tons of great themes that make customization simple. It’s a CMS that has more detailed functions than a typical website builder. This means you can scale and modify your WordPress website on a more technical level.
- Wix has a drag-and-drop UI. You can choose any website element and start editing it in a WYSIWYG environment. However, as it is a website builder, it’s a bit complicated to use than WordPress.
- Squarespace also has drag-and-drop editing tools but it is tougher to use than other CMS like WordPress and even site builders like Wix.
- Although Drupal is also a CMS, it makes getting a website up and running extremely difficult for beginners. Many users don’t consider the Drupal interface intuitive.
WordPress is more flexible than other website builders mainly because of its powerful plugins. You can create any website from a personal blog to a full-fledged business site.
Unlike other platforms, WordPress gives you more flexibility and possibilities. It offers a huge range of plugins that can add some form of functionality to your site. Plus, many of these plugins are completely free to install.
On the other hand, as plugins are external embellishments to your site, installing the wrong ones might hurt your site. Therefore, you should always check reviews, the number of installations, and the latest update date before installing any plugin.
- Wix has over 500 pre-made templates. Using the in-built tools, you can further modify your website design, alter the layout, and reorder items as needed. However, after you have chosen a template, you can’t switch it. You can only tweak and tailor it.
- As Squarespace is a site builder, you can choose, change, and customize your templates via a drag-and-drop interface. It offers a high level of personalization but is more obstructive than WordPress.
- With Drupal, much of the functionality required to modify the platform is already built into the main themes. This eliminates the need to depend heavily on 3rd party plugins. However, tailoring Drupal themes often needs custom development.
With thousands of free and premium themes, WordPress is guaranteed to provide your website users with a mobile-friendly experience. It will automatically scale your content depending on which device is used to browse your site.
Even if you’re using an old theme that doesn’t support 100% mobile optimization, you just need to install an Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) plugin. While it does take a lot more technical skill to create the website you desire, especially in the initial stages, but the additional effort can be well worth it.
- All Wix websites are fully mobile optimized and coded in HTML5. However, it has a more limited variety of themes and design layouts as compared to WordPress.
- All Squarespace website templates are fully responsive. Each template design has an integrated mobile view. This ensures your site looks great on all screen sizes.
- Although Drupal has been around for longer than WordPress, it currently powers just 1.5% of websites. That’s mainly because, when compared with WordPress, it’s website development process is often described as anything but simple.
4. eCommerce Functionality
WordPress makes it hassle-free to develop your eCommerce store using WooCommerce, which powers over 28.19% of all online stores. It also has a myriad of other eCommerce plugins that you can use to sell physical or virtual products, services, events, and subscriptions.
Most WordPress eCommerce plugins also have their dedicated themes and supplementary plugins. WordPress successfully integrates commerce with content. You can build your website the way you want it, depending on the items you’re selling. On top of that, the platform tries to keep everything lean so you can add just the options you need.
- With Wix eCommerce stores, you have limited payment gateway options (such as PayPal and Authorize.net).
- Squarespace isn’t a great option for larger eCommerce websites that require specific features such as multiple languages. It is limited in terms of what you can do on your website.
- With Drupal Commerce, you can develop a customary catalog-like experience. However, if you are not a developer and have no prior knowledge, you will have much difficulty working with Drupal.
Build a Beautiful WordPress Website With Skison
At Skison Digital Consultants, our WordPress website designs are a treat for the eye. They are visually attractive with great typefaces, convenient navigation, flawless design, complete accessibility, and awesome graphics. We create responsive websites that look and feel remarkable on all platforms – desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. We love designing for the web. Let us help you create the impeccable website you truly deserve. Get in touch today to learn more about our web development services.